The Maleku Indigenous Reserve is located in the Northern Region of Costa Rica. The reserve is home to three different villages, known as Palenques Margarita, Tonjibe y El Sol, all within the 2993 hectares (7395 acres) territory. The Population is 1000 indigenous, and 80% speak the native dialect called Maleku Jaica.
The purpose of this tour is to allow us to learn about the way of life of these indigenous groups in the present day and what they have done to keep their customs and traditions alive.
Our tour begins in La Fortuna at 8:00 am. After a 1 hour drive through the northern plains, we will arrive at the Indian community PalenqueTonjibe and be warmly received by their people.
After a short presentation, we will begin a hike through the village to observe many important aspects of this unique place, such as the way they bury their dead, the antique type of home structures, and their artwork and craftsmanship which currently provide a means of income, the use of cocoa in their farming, and the creation of their clothing.
Later we will continue with a walkalong a forest trail with 600m long in order to learn about medicinal plants that our ancestors used, and how we benefit from them today.
Finally, we will pass through Palenque where we will be treated to a traditional Maleku meal. Around 1:00 pm, we will have completed our visit to this village and will start our return to La Fortuna.
- Discover 1 of the 3 different villages known as Palenque Tonjibe.
- Territory of 2993 hectares (7395 acres) and a population of 1000 indigenous.
- We will observe the typeof palenques built by our indigenous ancestors, their artwork, customary dress,and their cocoa farming.
- Learn about medicinal plants and trees.
- Mineral bottled water
- Experienced bilingual guide
- Entrance fee
- Transportation from the hotel with A/C & Wifi on vans
- Rain coat
- Hiking shoes
- Insect repellent
- Comfortable clothing
• Price per person (USD).
• This tour requires a minimum of 2 adults.
• Price for children: 05 – 11 years.
• Child’s from 00 – 04 years are free.
• Children must be accompanied by an adult.
• Bilingual guide (English and Spanish).
• Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required.